Development, Zoning and Land Use
Property owners and developers must address a myriad of concerns as they try to turn their properties into the facilities that address the marketplace. Zoning and land use are the most prominent issues: set-backs, floor area ratios, height limitations, and so on. All of these issues must be addressed, and often variances are needed.
Likewise the underlying use may require a conditional use, a planned-community development permit, and overlay district, or even a zoning change. Or the development may call for a re-subdivision of the land. Steeg Law has handled all of these kinds of zoning and land use matters for clients with properties in the Greater New Orleans area and Louisiana, including in Jefferson Parish and St. Tammany Parish.
In today’s environment, the development of property requires knowledge of tax-credit programs and economic development incentives, including property tax abatement programs and PILOT (payment in lieu of taxes) programs. Our firm has participated in many transactions involving these programs, and is able to assist an owner or developer in evaluating which programs are available and appropriate, and then pursuing the necessary approvals.
- Conditional Use Applications
- Easements, Servitudes and Rights-of-Way
- Government incentive programs
- New Markets Tax Credits
- Planned use developments
- State and Federal Historic Tax Credits
- Resolved land use issues in major French quarter hotel development; reciprocal easement agreements uniting eight separate properties into one working hotel property
- Represented property owner in obtaining conditional use permit for billboard sign for its business in Jefferson Parish, Louisiana
- Represented owner of major New Orleans retailer in obtaining resubdivision, height variances and other administrative approvals for major expansion of flagship store
- Best Lawyers 2019 “Lawyer of the Year” for Commercial Transactions/UCC Law in New Orleans
- The Best Lawyers in America – Banking and Finance Law, Commercial Finance Law, Commercial Transactions/UCC Law, Corporate Law, Real Estate Law (since 1995)
- Chambers USA – Real Estate Law
- Super Lawyers – Real Estate Law
- New Orleans CityBusiness – Money Maker (2014, 2017)
- New Orleans CityBusiness – Leadership in Law Hall of Fame
- Best Lawyers’ 2014 New Orleans Litigation – Real Estate “Lawyer of the Year”
- The Best Lawyers in America – Banking and Finance Law, Commercial Transactions/UCC Law, Litigation – Real Estate, Real Estate Law (since 2012)
- New Orleans Magazine – Top Lawyers in Real Estate Law, Litigation – Real Estate
- New Orleans CityBusiness – Leadership in Law (2013, 2019)