Real Estate Litigation
Steeg Law’s Real Estate Litigation team handles both residential and commercial real estate transactions as well as the examination of real estate titles for developers, lenders, homeowners, governments, landlords, tenants and other entities. This diverse experience enables our real estate litigators to efficiently handle a broad spectrum of real estate litigation matters.
In the combative world of litigation, Steeg Law has a reputation for coming up with practical solutions that accomplish our clients’ goals without spending money unnecessarily. We are highly aware of their needs and interests. So, from the beginning we are looking for ways to resolve the dispute on terms that make sense for them.
Representative Claims and Issues
- Real Estate Contract Disputes: breach of real estate contracts, specific performance of real estate contracts, options, rights of first refusal, and real estate commissions
- Acquisitive Prescription: Prosecution and defense of acquisitive prescription cases include cases involving ten-year and thirty-year acquisitive prescription
- Boundary Disputes: Residential and commercial property, including matters involving encroachments
- Building Restrictions: Representation of owners, developers, and homeowners’ associations in cases concerning the enforcement of building restrictions and use restrictions, such as prohibitions against short-term rentals
- Condominium Governance: Representation of both condominium associations and unit owners in connection with disputes over condominium governance
- Servitudes and Access: Enforcement of servitude rights and establishing access to land
- Landlord/Tenant: Representation of commercial and residential landlords and tenants in litigation concerning lease disputes, including evictions, lease termination issues, and collection of rent due on leases
- Liens: Placing liens on property and actions to enforce liens as well as the defense of such actions
- Partition: Defense and prosecution of partition actions (disputes regarding whether and how a property should be divided and sold between two or more individuals or businesses that jointly own real estate)
- Quiet Title: Filing of the appropriate litigation to clear clouds on title and title defects
- Tax Sales: Representation of owners, lenders, and tax sale purchasers in cases either seeking to confirm or set aside tax sales
- Lien Priority Disputes: Representation of lenders and other lienholders in disputes involving the competing priority of interests in real estate
- Title Insurance: Highly experienced in handling title insurance claims
- Obtained injunction, affirmed on appeal, against holder of mechanic’s lien to prevent judicial sale of apartment complex.
- Evicted major retail tenant in aftermath of Hurricane Katrina based on tenant’s failure to make timely repairs of storm damage as required by lease.
- Obtained injunction on behalf of condominium association granting it access to residential unit to remediate mold contamination.
- Obtained injunction against French Quarter condominium unit owner for violation of condominium association by-law that prohibits short term rentals.
- Defeated attempt to evict tenant occupying historic French Quarter building under a ground lease based on claim that tenant had modified the leased premises without landlord’s consent.
- Defended client’s title chain, which derived from a tax sale, against claim by tax debtor of inadequate notice, resulting in favorable settlement
- Best Lawyers’ 2018 and 2015 New Orleans Litigation – Real Estate “Lawyer of the Year”
- Best Lawyers in America – Litigation – Commercial Litigation; Litigation – Real Estate; Litigation – Bankruptcy; Bet-the-Company Litigation
- Super Lawyers – Business Litigation (2007-2017)
News You Need To Know
- 2018 U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers® Ranks Steeg Law as Metropolitan Tier 1 Real Estate Law Firm
- The Short-Term Rental Saga in New Orleans Continues to Unfold
- From Single-Family Homes to Condos, the Regulations for Short-Term Rentals in New Orleans
- 2017 U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers® Ranks Steeg Law as Metropolitan Tier 1 Law Firm
- Who’s Really in Charge Here? Making Sure Your LLC Has the Proper Management Structure