Steeg Law provides aggressive commercial and business litigation counsel for our clients in New Orleans and throughout Louisiana in a variety of industries. Our litigation practice attorneys offer vigorous and cost-effective advocacy covering the full range of issues in commercial and business law. Steeg Law has particular experience in real estate litigation, having been involved in many precedent-setting cases.
In the combative world of litigation, Steeg Law has a reputation for coming up with practical solutions that accomplish what the client is trying to accomplish without spending money unnecessarily. We are highly aware of our clients’ needs and interests. From the beginning we are looking for ways to resolve the dispute on terms that make sense for our client.
Our bankruptcy litigation team combines experience, thoughtful strategy, and a practical approach to overcoming the challenges our clients typically encounter in bankruptcy proceedings. The firm has particular expertise in the intersection of bankruptcy law and real estate, including issues such as lien priority in bankruptcy, reorganization of real estate ventures, and leasing and executory contract issues in Chapter 11 proceedings.
Learn more about Bankruptcy Litigation
Bet-the-Company Litigation—lawsuits that threaten the very existence of a client’s business—requires the highest level of legal expertise and judgment. Steeg Law’s lead litigation attorney, Charles L. Stern, Jr., has been recognized by Best Lawyers in America for his experience in handling these kinds of complex cases. He has the professional skills, litigation judgment, and ability to understand your company’s business objectives.
Learn more about Bet-the-Company Litigation
Real Estate Litigation
Our Real Estate Litigation team handles both residential and commercial real estate transactions as well as the examination of real estate titles for developers, lenders, homeowners, governments, landlords, tenants and other entities. This diverse experience enables our real estate litigators to efficiently handle a broad spectrum of real estate litigation matters.
Learn more about Real Estate Litigation
Title Insurance Litigation
Our litigation practice group offers vigorous and cost-effective advocacy in the highly specialized area of title insurance claims litigation. Our title insurance litigation attorneys have experience that extends from curative actions and lien priority defense to coverage, policy interpretation, and bad-faith defense. The lead attorney for our title insurance litigation practice is Charles L. Stern, Jr.
Learn more about Title Insurance Litigation
Representative Claim and Issues
- Ad Valorem taxation
- Bankruptcy and reorganization
- Condemnation and expropriation
- Condo association governance and claims
- Directors and officers liability
- Insurance coverage
- Landlord-tenant disputes
- Lender liability and banking litigation
- Professional Liability Claims
- Property disputes
- Title insurance claims
- Zoning and land use
- Established priority of bank mortgage on Lake Charles, Louisiana, shopping center against the claims of other creditors in bankruptcy, enabling bank to enforce mortgage successfully
- Successfully defended landmark French Quarter restaurant against eviction efforts brought by ground lessor, extending restaurant’s occupancy rights by 20 years
- Represented owner of large regional shopping center against post-Katrina claims brought by anchor tenant, ending in settlement that substantially redeveloped and upgraded tenant’s space
- Defended national title insurance company against $10,000,000 claim brought by owner of Utah timberland based on alleged lack of access, resulting in favorable settlement for insurer
- Successfully represented owner whose property along Lake Pontchartrain was expropriated following Hurricane Katrina, defeating contentions by the State of Louisiana regarding the extent of property owned by client
- Defended owner of large coffee sorting facility at Port of New Orleans in complex dispute over construction defects and claims for payment by general contractor
- Successfully defended $5 million mortgage claim brought against large mixed-use development, including oral argument before United States Supreme Court
- Best Lawyers’ 2021, 2018 and 2015 New Orleans Litigation – Real Estate “Lawyer of the Year”
- The Best Lawyers in America – Litigation – Commercial Litigation; Litigation – Real Estate; Litigation – Bankruptcy; Bet-the-Company Litigation (2012-2021)
- Super Lawyers – Business Litigation (2007-2020)
- New Orleans CityBusiness – Leadership in Law (2011, 2020)