Zachary H. Kupperman
201 St. Charles Avenue, Ste 3201
New Orleans, LA 70170
Areas of Practice
- Commercial litigation
- Commercial real estate development, transactions and leasing
- Entrepreneurial, start-ups and closely held businesses
- The University of Texas (B.A., 2005)
- Tulane University (J.D., 2009)
- State of Louisiana, 2009
- U.S. District Court, Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of Louisiana, 2009
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit, 2009
Zachary H. Kupperman represents clients in a broad range of legal and business matters, including commercial real estate, commercial transactions, corporate law and general business law. He also has particular experience in business formation and strategic planning for entrepreneurs and start-ups and is the lead attorney for the Business Enterprises and Emerging Companies practice.
As a real estate and business attorney, Mr. Kupperman represents developers, investors, landlords, tenants, lenders, and financial institutions in major commercial transactions and developments, including hotels, hospitals and healthcare facilities, restaurants and retail, industrial facilities, warehouses, strip and regional shopping centers, drug stores, office buildings, bank branches, condominium developments, distribution centers, apartment buildings and mixed-use developments.
He has also represented lenders and borrowers in a variety of secured transactions, and real estate developers in connection with the financing, acquisition, and development of commercial properties, as well as with zoning and land use matters.
In the Business Enterprises and Emerging Companies practice, Mr. Kupperman represents startups and emerging growth companies, their investors, and managers in a wide-range of corporate and commercial transactional matters. His practice focuses on creating and structuring new businesses, equity and debt financings (including venture capital, strategic, seed, and angel financings), joint ventures and strategic alliances, and other corporate matters.
He routinely works with the top startup accelerators in Louisiana, including the Idea Village, Propeller, and 4.0 Schools, advising clients on digital media and angel investor tax credits, commercial contracting matters, general employment and equity compensation matters, and corporate governance issues. In addition, Mr. Kupperman has represented both franchisees and franchisors in preparing and negotiating franchise agreements and franchise disclosure documentation.
Mr. Kupperman is very active in the New Orleans community. He currently sits on the board of the Anti Defamation League and also co-founded and served two years as Chairman of the New Orleans Young Urban Rebuilding Professionals, now known as Make New Orleans Home. He is involved in and dedicated to the economic development of the New Orleans region, participating in the creation of and contributing to WorkNOLA.com and 504ward.
- Lead real estate counsel for acquisition of 20+ acre healthcare complex.
- Represented developer in acquisition of city-owned real estate.
- Represented lender in refinancing of national fast-food franchisee.
- Negotiation, preparation and execution of option to purchase a medical facility in Jefferson Parish.
- Purchase of a property for development into mixed-use facility in Central City, New Orleans.
- Successful conditional use application for expanding commercial business in downtown New Orleans.
- Represented a technology startup in the closing of their Series A venture capital financing.
- Member, Federal, Louisiana and New Orleans Bar Associations
- Legal Counsel, Steering Committee of The Brees Dream Foundation/The Idea Village Trust Your Crazy Ideas Challenge
- Member, Urban Land Institute of Louisiana
- New Orleans’ 40 under 40 - Gambit Weekly
- Innovator of the Year - New Orleans CityBusiness
Panels & Presentations
- March 2012: Growth Industry Panel Discussion - NOLAbound
- Legal Issues for Entrepreneurs - Idea Village Entrepreneur Class of 2010
- Board Member, Make New Orleans Home
- Legal Counsel, The Brees Dream Foundation/The Idea Village "Trust Your Crazy Ideas Challenge"
- Board Member, Anti-Defamation League
- Mentor, Social Entrepreneurs of New Orleans
- Board Member, Tour de Lis cancer fundraiser
- Co-founder and Past Chairman, New Orleans Young Urban Rebuilding Professionals (now Make New Orleans Home)
- Managing Editor, The Tulane Environmental Law Journal
- Founder, PolicyPitch.com, an innovative approach to involving citizens in the legislative process
- Finalist and Judge, Tulane Business Plan Competition, 2008-2010
In The News
- Zachary Kupperman Joins Brees Dream Foundation/Idea Village Entrepreneur Program as Legal Counsel 29 Sep 2010
- Zachary Kupperman Attends Small HydroPower USA Conference 10 Jan 2011
- Associate, Zachary Kupperman, Profiled in the Tulane Lawyer 20 Apr 2011
- Zachary Kupperman Chosen Brees Dream Foundation/Idea Village Entrepreneur Program Legal Counsel 12 Jul 2011
- Associate, Zachary H. Kupperman, selected as mentor for Social Entrepreneurs of New Orleans 31 Aug 2011
- Steeg Law Selected by U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers as a Tier 1 Real Estate Law Firm 1 Nov 2011
- News You Need to Know: The Top Four New Laws That Could Affect Your Business 1 Nov 2011
- Recent Transactions: Helping Our Clients Make Business Happen 2 Nov 2011
- New Orleans’ Entrepreneurial Boom Featured on NPR 9 Jan 2012
- Recent Transactions: Helping Our Clients Make Business Happen 31 Jan 2012
- Zachary Kupperman Lectures at Tulane University; Chosen Judge for Tulane Business Plan Competition 2 Feb 2012
- Zachary H. Kupperman Serves as Panelist on “New Orleans Growth Industries” for NOLAbound 25 Apr 2012
- Recent Transactions: Helping Our Clients Make Business Happen 27 Apr 2012
- Zachary H. Kupperman Elected to the Board of the Anti-Defamation League 10 Sep 2012
- Recent Transactions: Helping Our Clients Make Business Happen 10 Sep 2012
- Zachary H. Kupperman Working With Educational Tech Start-up, 4.0 Schools 29 Oct 2012
- Steeg Law Receives Tier 1 Ranking in 2013 Edition of US News and Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms” 1 Nov 2012
- Recent Transactions: Helping Our Clients Make Business Happen 7 Nov 2012
- Zachary Kupperman Accepted as a Fellow for the World Economic Forum’s Global Shapers Community 31 Jan 2013
- Recent Transactions: Helping Our Clients Make Business Happen 4 Feb 2013
- Zachary Kupperman Interviewed for article, “Experts Reveal Pitfalls for Entrepreneurial Pitches” 6 Mar 2013
- Associate Zachary Kupperman Panelist During 2013 New Orleans Entrepreneur Week 1 Apr 2013
- The Big Comeback: Is New Orleans America’s Next Great Innovation Hub? 8 Apr 2013
- Recent Transactions: Helping Our Clients Make Business Happen 25 Apr 2013