Robert M. Steeg
201 St. Charles Avenue, Ste 3201
New Orleans, LA 70170
Areas of Practice
- Commercial real estate
- Secured transactions
- Landlord/tenant law
- Title law and title litigation
- Ad valorem taxation
- Zoning and land use
- University of Pennsylvania (B.A., 1973)
- The Annenberg School of Communications, University of Pennsylvania (M.S., 1975)
- Boston College Law School (J.D., 1978)
- State of Louisiana, 1978
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Louisiana, 1979
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit, 1980
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit, 1981
- State of Texas, 2007
Robert M. Steeg has over 30 years of experience as a commercial real estate attorney, including 16 years as the Managing Partner of Steeg Law Firm, LLC. Mr. Steeg has been involved in many of the real estate projects that define the landscape of the greater New Orleans area. He has particular experience in the unique and difficult real estate issues associated with the New Orleans riverfront and with Canal Street in downtown New Orleans.
Mr. Steeg has assisted hundreds of clients with handling thousands of purchases, loans and leases for nursing homes, medical offices, industrial facilities, warehouses, hotels, strip shopping centers, regional shopping centers, drug stores, office buildings, bank branches, condominium developments, distribution centers, and apartment buildings throughout the southeast Louisiana region.
Mr. Steeg has been consistently honored as one of the top lawyers in real estate in Louisiana by The Best Lawyers in America (1995 to present), SuperLawyers and New Orleans Magazine, as well as one of the top six lawyers in real estate in Louisiana by Chambers & Partners America’s Leading Lawyers for Business (2004 to present). He was also selected as an honoree for the New Orleans CityBusiness Leadership in Law Class of 2010.
- Business formation and negotiation of upscale shopping center lease for new retail business in downtown New Orleans.
- Successful conditional use application for expanding commercial business in downtown New Orleans.
- Negotiation of loan documents for refinancing of multi-million dollar multi-family apartment complex in New Orleans.
- Negotiation, preparation and execution for the landlord of major amendment and extension of office lease in downtown New Orleans.
- Purchase and development of site for company-owned office building in Jefferson Parish.
- Member, New Orleans, Louisiana and American Bar Associations
- Member, New Orleans City Planning Commission
- Member, International Conference of Shopping Centers
- Member, ABA Section of Litigation and Section of Real Property, Trust, and Estate Law
- Member, New Orleans Bar Association Real Estate Law Committee
- Member, Association for Capital Growth
- Former Member, Tax Fairness Commission, Mayoral Advisory Committee to Mayor Mitch Landrieu
- Former Member, City of New Orleans Board of Zoning Adjustments
- Chambers & Partners America's Leading Lawyers - Real Estate - Tier 1
- Martindale-Hubbell - AV
- The Best Lawyers of America - Real Estate Law (since 1995)
- SuperLawyers - Real Estate
- Leadership in Law Class of 2010 Honoree - New Orleans City Business
- New Orleans Magazine - Top Lawyers in Real Estate
- University of Pennsylvania - Graduated Phi Beta Kappa and summa cum laude
- Boston College Law School - Order of Coif
- Board Member, Legacy Donor Foundation
- Board Member, Jewish Family Services
- Board Member and Secretary, Congregation Temple Sinai
- Past Member, Board of City Park
- Past Member, Board of the Anti-Defamation League
- Past Member, Uptown Neighborhood Improvement Association
- Past Member, Headmasters’ Council of Isidore Newman School.
- Member and Executive Editor, Environmental Affairs Law Review, 1976-1978, Boston College Law School
- Law Clerk to the Hon. Fred J. Cassibry (U.S.D.C., E.D. LA.) 1978-1979
In The News
- News You Need to Know: The Unexpected Consequences of Memorandum of Lease for Landlords and Tenants 2 Feb 2012
- News You Need to Know: US Commercial Real Estate Markets Improving, Says NAR Report 10 Apr 2012
- Managing Partner, Robert M. Steeg, Recaps the ICSC Gulf South Idea Exchange 23 Apr 2012
- Recent Transactions: Helping Our Clients Make Business Happen 27 Apr 2012
- Steeg Law Firm, LLC and Robert M. Steeg Ranked in Chambers & Partners Top Tiers 11 Jul 2012
- Five Steeg Law Attorneys Included in the 2013 Edition of Best Lawyers 22 Aug 2012
- Steeg Law Raises Awareness for Donate Life LA’s Facebook Initiative 10 Sep 2012
- Recent Transactions: Helping Our Clients Make Business Happen 10 Sep 2012
- Robert M. Steeg Appointed by Mayor Landrieu to City Planning Commission 21 Sep 2012
- Steeg Law Receives Tier 1 Ranking in 2013 Edition of US News and Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms” 1 Nov 2012
- Recent Transactions: Helping Our Clients Make Business Happen 7 Nov 2012
- Four Steeg Law Attorneys Receive Top Lawyers Honors from New Orleans Magazine 9 Nov 2012
- Vitality Reborn: New Orleans Draws National Developers and Retailers 9 Nov 2012
- Must Read: Demystifying the New 3.8% “Medicare” Tax 18 Dec 2012
- Robert M. Steeg and Charles L. Stern, Jr. Honored by Super Lawyers 25 Jan 2013
- Recent Transactions: Helping Our Clients Make Business Happen 4 Feb 2013
- Robert M. Steeg Interviewed for article, “Tips to Negotiate a Favorable Lease for Your Business” 20 Feb 2013
- How New Orleans Pulled Off an Economic Miracle: A Magnet for Traditional Businesses and Startups 12 Apr 2013
- Recent Transactions: Helping Our Clients Make Business Happen 25 Apr 2013