Robert M. Steeg, Managing Partner
As one of the most experienced real estate lawyers in New Orleans, Managing Partner, Robert M. Steeg, is highly respected for his handling of complicated real estate transactions. Rob has developed a reputation for providing quality representation in a cost effective way and being personally attentive to his clients. These qualities have attributed to him being widely recognized by his peers as one of the best in the industry through inclusion in Best Lawyers in America, Chambers USA, Super Lawyers, New Orleans CityBusiness Leadership in Law and New Orleans Magazine Top Lawyers.
“I have a real appreciation for the business realities that my clients are involved in. I keep the big picture in mind and work to understand what is really important in the transaction for all of the various parties. One of the roles that I play is anticipating problems. My goal is to get my client’s deal done as expediently as possible while not sacrificing future legal protection.”
Rob has assisted hundreds of clients with handling thousands of purchases, sales, loans and leases for all sizes and kinds of real estate throughout the southeast Louisiana region, including industrial, office, multi-family, and retail properties.
Representative Transactions and Cases
- Business formation and negotiation of upscale shopping center lease for new retail business in downtown New Orleans.Successful conditional use application for expanding commercial business in downtown New Orleans.
- Negotiation of loan documents for refinancing of multi-million dollar multi-family apartment complex in New Orleans.
- Negotiation, preparation and execution for the landlord of major amendment and extension of office lease in downtown New Orleans.
- Purchase and development of site for company-owned office building in Jefferson Parish.
- Member, New Orleans, Louisiana and American Bar Associations
- Chair, New Orleans City Planning Commission, The City of New Orleans
- Member, International Conference of Shopping Centers
- Member, ABA Section of Litigation and Section of Real Property, Trust, and Estate Law
- Member, New Orleans Bar Association Real Estate Law Committee
- Former Member, Tax Fairness Commission, Official Mayoral Advisory Committee
- Former Member, City of New Orleans Board of Zoning Adjustments
- Chambers USA – Real Estate – Band 1 (1994-present)
- Martindale-Hubbell – AV Preeminent
- Best Lawyers in America – Real Estate Law, Commercial Transactions/UCC Law (1995-present)
- Super Lawyers – Real Estate (2008-2016)
- New Orleans CityBusiness – 2014 Money Maker
- New Orleans CityBusiness – Leadership in Law Class of 2010 and 2016
- New Orleans Magazine Top Lawyers – Real Estate Law
- University of Pennsylvania – Graduated Phi Beta Kappa and Summa Cum Laude
- Boston College Law School – Order of Coif
Civic and Community
- Member, Executive Council, WWNO
- Board Member, Jewish Federation of Greater New Orleans; Member, Executive Committee
- Board Member, Congregation Temple Sinai
- Trustee, New Orleans Museum of Art; Chair, Acquisitions Committee; Member, Executive Committee
- Former Board Member, Metropolitan Crime Commission
- Member and Executive Editor, Environmental Affairs Law Review, 1976-1978, Boston College Law School
- Law Clerk to the Hon. Fred J. Cassibry (U.S.D.C., E.D. LA.) 1978-1979
In The News
- Some Tips on Section 1031 Exchanges -
- Robert M. Steeg Elected Chair of the New Orleans City Planning Commission -
- Case Alert: Can You Sue (Or Be Sued By) Someone You Didn’t Have a Direct Contract With? -
- Demystifying Tax Sales for Investors -
- News You Need to Know: New Disclosure Rules for Mortgages -